The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, in collaboration with Newton Wellesley Hospital, the Newton Partnership and Vision of Hope, are excited to be able to offer The Starting Young Parent Workshops in Newton. This series of four workshops have been proven effective in supporting parents in raising healthy and safe children.
This series will be facilitated by BARCC staff with over 15 years of combined experience in facilitating conversations – Melissa Gopnik and Lee Doyle. The workshops will cover topics such as:
- What are appropriate boundaries between children and adults? Between younger and older children?
- How do I talk to other adults whose behavior might worry me?
- How do I talk to my children about boundaries?
- What are developmentally expected sexual behaviors for children of different ages?
- What should I do if I think a child is being harmed?
- What can I do in my community to prevent child sexual abuse?
During each workshop, facilitators will lead conversations amongst participants and promote shared learning.
Through funding from the Vision of Hope Fund, BARCC is able to offer free childcare during these workshops.
The workshops will be on Thursday March 6, March 13, March 20 and March 26 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at the Waban Public Library. These workshops are designed to be a series of workshops and so parents are encouraged to attend all four sessions.